Do you want to hear some staggering statistics? I just saw this list today again, and am reminded again why I’m so passionate about our mission with Norwex. To RADICALLY reduce chemicals in personal care and cleaning. And in many cases, REPLACE the need for chemical cleaners and disposable cleaning tools… with our amazing Norwex BacLock* microfiber!
I know that many of these statistics are a bit dated, but with an unfortunate steadily climbing cancer rate, I’m afraid we haven’t been making enough progress in the right direction! That’s why I’d love your help spreading the Norwex mission! Together, we ARE making a difference!
1. Women who work in the home have a 54% higher risk of dying from cancer than women who work outside of the home because of their increased exposure to household chemicals. [Toronto Indoor Air Conference of 1990 from a 15+ year study]
2. Ingestion only accounts for about 10% of household poisonings. 90% of poisoning happens through inhalation and skin absorption.
3. 150 chemicals routinely found in the home have been connected to allergies, birth defects, cancer and psychological disorders. [The Consumer Protection Agency )
4. In an EPA report to the US Congress regarding the Indoor Air Quality Act of 1989, they stated that indoor air quality is one of the nation’s most important environmental health problems.
5. “Chemicals have replaced bacteria and viruses as the main threat to health. The diseases we are beginning to see as the major causes of death in the latter part of the 1900’s and into the 21st century are diseases of chemical origin.” [Dr. Dick Irwin, Toxicologist, Texas A&M University]
6. There has been a 28% increase in childhood cancer since the addition of pesticides into household products. Cancer is now the #2 killer of children – second only to accidental poisonings in the home. Since 1977 the rate of cancer among American children has been steadily rising at a rate of nearly 1% each year. [National Cancer Institute]
7. In one decade, there has been a 42% increase in asthma ( 29% for men, 82% for women ). The higher rate for women is believed to be due to women’s longer exposure times to household chemicals. [Center for Disease Control]
8. Just by reducing ( not eliminating ) environmental carcinogens alone, we could save at least 50,000 lives taken by cancer annually. [Dr. Lee Davis, former advisor to the Secretary of Health]
9. Today, children have chemical exposures from birth that their parents didn’t have until they were adults. Because children are exposed to toxics at an earlier age than adults, they have more time to develop environmentally triggered diseases, with long latency periods, such as cancer. [Environmental Policy and Children’s Health, Future of Children, Summer/Fall 1995; 5( 2 ): 34-52]
10. Household bleaches which claim to disinfect are classified as pesticides under the Federal Hazardous Substances Act. Inadvertently mixing bleach with other cleaners that contain ammonia produces a toxic chloramines gas. These toxic gases can cause coughing, loss of voice, a feeling of burning or suffocation, and even death. [Source: Guide to Hazardous Products Around the Home, Household Hazardous Waste Project, 1989
Will you help me Sound the Alarm? We need help getting the word out that there is a better way!! Teach people how they can MECHANICALLY CLEAN instead of the usual methods of chemical cleaning! Become a Norwex consultant, and experience the blessings that it brings into your life. The blessing of helping others find an EASY and EFFECTIVE solution. The blessings of being able to stay home with your children, if you choose. The blessing of having one or two more bills paid for at the end of the month with your Norwex income. The blessing of being able to replace a full-time income, if you choose. …of being part of the amazing Norwex family and mission. Norwex is an amazing work-from-home business, and it’s SO affordable to get started. If you think you’d be a great fit for Norwex and might like to join my team, give me a call. I’d love to help you get started!
*This graphic is noted throughout the blog and in our catalog to differentiate those products that contain an antibacterial agent for self-cleansing purposes only. The agent is solely designed to inhibit bacterial odor, mold, and/or mildew growth within the product.